Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hive Member Spotlight - Trudi Magoon - Michigan


I am a single mom of a 22 year old son, Nathan, who lives at home. We have a 12 year old Cocker Spaniel, Duke and unfortunately, just had to put our other dog, Sadie, to sleep. I was born on October 17th. I grew up in Greenville, MI and lived in Grand Rapids, MI area for 10 years (2nd largest MI city). I have degrees in Accounting and Business with accreditation in Credit/Collections and Purchasing. In 1999 I became ill with TTP and Lupus (SLE) so moved back to Greenville to be closer to family.

With the Lupus I have been unable to work full time for several years. From 2000 – 2004 I owned my own handcrafted candle and bath/body product business; which I sold through craft shows and wholesale to gift shops. And I organized an internet “support” group, held supply co-ops, and organized annual conventions ( I still lend my knowledge to others on internet support groups). Business was growing to the point I was seeking a partner to help me, when I had a flareup of Lupus, so ended up closing the business at the end of 2004.


I have been looking for something else to do since (silly little disease won't stop me!). The idea of a direct sales company appealed to me; because I love the casual sales aspect of it...the fun party vibe that you can't get in a retail store. I also can have lots of control over when and how much I work. I discovered Urban Botanic a year ago while browsing online. I had just tried another direct sale business that didn't work out and was a big disappointment, so I was reluctant to try again. There also was no opportunity to view an actual UB workshop in action. But I just loved the concept of UB so much! And the number of products caught my eye as well. Having sold for other direct sales businesses and my own business in the past, I knew that stocking inventory or keeping up with changing products is a big issue...not so with UB! After a year of debating, my son suddenly said “Mom...just sign up already would you! You've researched it and if you feel you can easily sell it, do it. The biggest payoffs require the biggest risks.” My son, the voice of reason. So I am here and excited. I bought the $500 kit despite the new kits coming out soon. It really is a bargain with the free products. I do plan on purchasing the new kit when it comes out for the fragrance samples, as I see potential in the convenience.

My family, unfortunately, are not risk takers at all...it is outside their comfort zone. I have always been the odd one in the family who thought...just give me a little resources and see what I could achieve. Thankfully, my friends are very supportive. Since I haven't worked in a while I am apprehensive and a little unsure about my abilities right now. I am confident, though, that the support of fellow fragrance designers will give me the little pick me up I need.

I would have guessed my personality test results to be Fruity. I was actually afraid it would turn out to be Floral...I am not a floral fan. My results were Leafy and Spicy; which ,though, it surprised me a bit, I can see it.

I believe I am the only fragrance designer in Michigan at the time I write this and that excites me. I think UB will be an exciting new addition to the home party plans circulating around. I have lots of ideas swirling through my head as to where I will market. I am starting off slowly to see how the Lupus will behave. I have a few friends I am getting scheduled for workshops and am planning on holding a few open houses out of my home to attract others. I am looking forward to sharing UB with everyone I can find. I feel it is a great opportunity for others also and am hoping my enthusiasm will rub off to new recruits. We have a whole state to tackle here. I also like being a mentor to others. Well...I might as well set a goal right here...next year...$1500 a month in sales and 3-4 team members directly under myself who have at least 1 team member under them...or maybe my goal is “The Sky's The Limit!”.

What is one personality trait you have that you think will help you be successful at UB?

My mouth! I love to talk and when I get excited about something, it just runs and everyone else around me catches my enthusiasm bug.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I AM TRUDI'S SISTER IN LAW AND UNLIKE THE REST OF OUR FAMILY...I SUPPORT HER IN ALL SHE DOES!
I WISH HER THE BEST ON HER NEW ADVENTURE WITH UB, SHE IS VERY EXCITED ABOUT IT AND HER KNOWLEDGE OF THE PRODUCT IS SUCH THAT YOU WOULD THINK SHE HAS SOLD FOR YEARS! SHE IS A DETERMINED INDIVIDUAL AND WILL ACHIEVE GREAT THINGS IN LIFE WITH HER DETERMINATION AND WILL. I HAVE SEEN HER OVER COME SO MANY THINGS AND I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST TRUDI AND CAN'T WAIT TILL MY SHOW :)
LOVE YA SIS,
KAREN

UB Inspire said...

Hi Trudi-
Welcome to the Hive! I am sure you will do great!