Sunday, June 1, 2008

Recruiting Part 2

We continue on our study of recruiting and discovering why it is that more people do not take advantage of the opportunity to truly build residual income in this business.

REASON #1… “I don't want to be PUSHY.” Probably the most common fear associated with recruiting.

Where does that fear come from?

The consultant is thinking more about herself than the potential recruit. Her fear of what that person will think of her exceeds the need to offer the opportunity. Therefore she says nothing.
Perhaps she had a negative experience with an “overly enthusiastic” sales person. She would never want to be perceived in that way and therefore, she says nothing.

Negative reinforcement from people in her life who she respects (relatives, close friends). We've all been there…ah yes, here are some of the things I heard when I first began in the business…

Ø (from my sister)… “You are doing WHAT? Do you need money? I'll give you money!
Ø (from my mother)… “Oh, certainly (that person I work with) is only buying from you as a favor to me!”
Ø (from a good friend)… “Now that you are in the party plan business, are you going to be bugging all of us all the time to sign up?”
Ø (from another good friend)… “Oh, we won't even talk to you about the business. We had SUCH a bad experience with…”
Ø (from a variety of people) … “Oh you are doing THAT? Isn't that one of those `pyramid schemes?'”
o Working through the fear, how do we filter out negative comments from important people in our lives in order to be able to hear green flags signs that someone is interested in the business? Sometimes those negative comments are replaying in our heads so loudly, that we can't hear when people say to us things like…
Ø “How's that going for you?”
Ø “Did you have to buy all your samples?”
Ø “Did you have a good night tonight (translation, how much money did you make?)”
Ø “How many nights a week do you do this?”
Ø “How did you get started doing this?”
Ø “You look like you really enjoy what you do!”

There truly is a very big psychological component to sales. And no matter how you hedge it, we are in the business of SALES! There it is, we've said it aloud. It boils down to your belief system. Do you believe in what you are selling (your product, the hostess and the business opportunity?) If you don't, then you need to get your head on straight. To our knowledge, none of the TSF subscribers are selling something illegal. All of us are selling something that will benefit someone. The key is remembering that. Adopt an unshakeable faith in your company and your product and stick with it. Do your best to develop a thick skin and not take things personally (and yes, this can be difficult with those people you care about in your life). We sort, we don't convince. Our job is to ask good questions in order to see if our product or service is a good fit for our potential customer. Once you learn to focus on what they need and not on yourself, you will find things go a lot smoother. SWSWSWSW NEXT is your daily mantra. SOME WILL, SOME WON'T, SO WHAT?.....SOMEONE'S WAITING…NEXT!

If you are fearful that you will be perceived as being pushy, say what you fear most. You might be surprised at the response that you get. Many years ago, a very good friend joined my team. This was someone I had grown up with and our families were as close as blood elatives. She became a leader in my downline and was with me for many years and grew a very organization of her own. Here's the interesting part of the story - it took me SEVEN YEARS to recruit her. Now, you would suppose that she would have written me off as a friend over that period of time or that I would have given up, right? But, to this day, long after our business relationship has come and gone we are still very close friends - neither of us would have it any other way. I worked all that time to recruit her because her need was crystal clear - she needed an extra income but is a mom of 4 active children. In my heart of heart, I knew it was a good fit for her and also that she would be great because she was a wonderful people person and a very hard worker (which I always told her). From time to time (maybe 3-4 times a year), I would contact her about joining my team. I would ALWAYS preface every phone call by saying - “Janet, I am really feeling like a pest here and you know our relationship is much more important than my business. Do I have your permission to tell you about what's happening right now with my company?” Her answer was always yes, and then for seven years there was always some reason or another why she couldn't join right then. I would always close our conversation with, “May I stay in touch, and can I count on you to tell me to buzz off when you are sick of hearing about the business?” So you see, I always had her permission to check in and I always gave her permission to let me know when she was no longer interested. Eventually timing for her family was right and she enjoyed many years with our company.

Summary
1) FAYC (Forget About Yourself Completely)
2) Have an unshakeable faith in your product, and your company
3) ALWAYS think about and STATE to your prospect
a) How they would benefit from your product or services
b) Why they would be a good fit for your company
4) Say what you fear most - by being honest and forthright, your prospect will respect you and listen to what you have to say (in most instances)
5) Remember, we are in the SORTING not the CONVINCING business - it's important to develop THICK SKIN!

No comments: