Friday, March 23, 2007

Treasure Mapping for your Urban Botanic business

“When the `why' is there, the `how' gets easy” - Jim Rohn

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Treasure mapping is an activity designed to help you visualize your goals. It serves as a concrete reference point that will keep your `why' in front of you every day.

A treasure map can be simple or complex. When complete the end result is a collage of pictures and/or words and phrases that help you to focus on what you want to be, to do, and have. The finished product can be small enough to hang on a bathroom mirror or it can be larger and serve as a focal point to hang in your office. It may be mounted on poster or core board or be pages of a scrapbook if you desire.

A treasure map is never set in stone. It is fluid and can be added to and amended as your dreams change and crystalize. Visualization is a powerful key in goal setting. Allow yourself the time and thought to do this activity. It will be time well spent.

Homework to do in advance:

Pull out some old magazines and page through them. Don't think too hard. Let your mind run wild and have fun fantasizing! As you browse, go through and cut out pictures and phrase that leap off the page at you. You might find phrases like “A place of my own” or pictures of a desirable vacation destination, a pair of running shoes (to symbolize a fitness goal) or even a graduation cap.

Optional and time permitting: Is there is something very concrete that you have been imagining about? Perhaps it is a house you pass each day that you would LOVE to live in, a new couch for your family room, or even a business to invest in. Get out your camera, take some photos…allow yourself to DREAM BIG!

Supplies:

  • Poster board of any size (or scrapbook if you desire)
  • Glue or glue stick
  • Colored markers (if you are feeling artistic)
  • Scissors
  • Magazines for sharing and continued “snipping”
  • Your homework (see above)


What to do:


Let out your inner child. Begin to edit and collage your homework onto your poster board or into your scrapbook. Even if you are not particularly “artsy” the end result will be a focal point that you can use as a powerful visual.

It will be a concrete reminder of your `why' that you will be able to reference as often as needed. When life and work become challenging, this treasure map will help keep you motivated from within. ENJOY!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I call mine my Vision Board. It is a large cork board where I've put all sorts of things on it - from a diagram of my future UB team, to Beyonce's curvy, fit figure, to my dream car and dream house.

I hung it in my bedroom so it is the last thing I see at night and the first thing I see each morning. It doesn't really go with my South Asian decor but I wanted it in the room where I spend the most time. ;)

When I have trouble sleeping, I just stare at the pictures on there and meditate on my visions and goals for the future.