Tuesday, September 4, 2007

No shortcuts

William Danforth, who became the owner of the huge Ralston Purina Company, learned a lesson about success when he was a young man. He said, “When I was sixteen, I came to St. Louis to attend the Manual Training School.

It was a mile from my boarding house to the school. A teacher, who lived nearby, and I would start for school at the same time every morning. But he always beat me there. Even back then I didn't want to be beaten, and so I tried all the shortcuts. Day after day, however, he arrived ahead of me. Then I discovered how he did it. When he came to each street crossing, he would run to the other curb. The thing that put him ahead of me was just `that little extra'”.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

-Beverly Sills

No comments: