Monday, February 12, 2007

Overcoming phone phobia in your Urban Botanic business

Great advice from Karen Phelps on getting over your phone fears!

Even the most successful salespeople in the world, if they were honest, would probably tell you they hate to pick up the telephone to make "cold calls". It's not easy and probably outside the average salesperson's comfort zone.


So, how do we overcome the fear that makes our insides turn flip-flops every time we try to make a call? The February 2003 issue of "Entrepreneur Magazine" says to focus on "what's the worst that could happen?" Hey, so maybe they hang up on you or they say they are not interested. So what!


Over the years I spent a lot of time teaching my sales team how to call on their leads. I found team members who had a prepared script and several different answers to overcome objections were most successful when making calls. Here are a few ways to increase the positive results of your phone calling sessions.


Have a list ready with the names and phone numbers of the people you will be calling.
Decide in advance the purpose of your call. Example: to get an order, to book a show or to schedule and interview to show the company program.


Have a simple script ready that includes an introduction, an interest creating comment and a call to action. Example: "Hi Susie, this is Karen Phelps with XYZ company and we met at Cathy's home last week. I noticed how interested you were in the amount of money that could be earned with our company. I'll be in your area tomorrow and I would love to stop by and show you our program. I can be there at 1:00 in the afternoon or 7:00 in the evening. Which time is best for you?" Pause and wait for her response.


Have answers ready to overcome objections. Example: If Susie says, "I don't think I'd be interested." You might answer, "Susie, I understand you are probably a little apprehensive, I felt the same way when I was introduced to the program. I only need a few minutes to explain the opportunity to you and after you have heard everything you can make the decision whether or not you would like to join us."


If there is resistance to your first offer, make another. Example: "I appreciate you are not interested in hearing about the opportunity right now, however, I noticed that you really loved the product. I'd love to have you share the product with your friends and have the chance to earn product for yourself. I have a few "bonus dates" available this month and I will bring you a FREE GIFT. The Bonus dates are Monday the 10'th and Tuesday the 11'th. Which date is best for you?"


Don't ask a question that she can easily answer "NO" to. "Do you want to have a show?" Remember to offer something and something. Example: Monday or Tuesday, 1:00 or 7:00.
Keep track of your results! Knowing how many calls you made and what your results were give you your "calling ratio". You may find you need to call five people to get one booking. You'll be excited to get on the phone and get the first four no's out of the way!

No comments: