Monday, February 5, 2007

Pyschology of Booking Parties for Urban Botanic

I'm not sure who the author is on this but it definitely sounds like Karen Phelps and she is RIGHT ON! In working with a few team members lately I realized that this advice would come in handy this week. I know this week is big one and I'm certainly nervous and excited about my event on Wed. I know Emie is too and of course Angie's event was yesterday so I'm dying to catch up with her! Booking the party is definitely taking things to the next level from "talking" about UB, to "acting" on their interest. Here are some fool proof methods to GET ER DONE!

Booking parties is sooooo easy, once you learn not only the "how" but the "why"! I've never seen anyone who, once they learned the "Psychology of Booking" couldn't keep their calendar full.


Is there a "Psychology of Booking"? You bet! Some understand it right away but some consultants never learn it! I've seen consultants quit after a few years because they were tired of their constant battle to get bookings. They obviously never got it!


I've observed consultants begin their direct selling business by "asking" people to have parties to help them get started and never explain to the person "what's in it for them"! I've listened to consultants say they feel as if they are "begging" people when they ask someone to book a party. Wow, I never would have lasted for over 22 years if I had to spend the whole time "begging". What is the secret that helps consultants transfer from "mediocre" to "great" at booking parties? Here it is!


The secret is "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU"! What do I mean by that? Well, often consultants make an assumption which results in an incorrect way to ask for bookings. Have you ever assumed that when someone booked a party for you they were "helping you out and doing you a favor"? I know I have! Especially when there was a contest or trip I was really close to earning. I let everyone know and I asked them to "help me out".

The problem with this was I was more focused on myself than the person who was booking. That's not what booking parties is all about! This attitude of "doing me a favor" unconsciously begins at the start of your Direct Selling career. Leaders unintentionally plant the seed that you need to call in your favors and ask people to help you get started, which to some extent is true. Often we overlook the obvious fact...hosting a party can actually benefit the Hostess.


"IT'S ALL ABOUT THEM" and how you can help them earn free and discounted products by inviting you and a few of their friends over for a fun-filled evening. My business exploded when I finally really understood that booking parties was a WIN-WIN situation. Yes, I was a winner because I was going to earn money and the sales would help me win contests and trips but my Hostesses were winners too! It was when I realized that it really was "a super fantastic deal" for the Hostess that my business began to explode.


I changed my thinking! Instead of thinking to myself, "I hope she'll have a party to help me win this trip" I would think, "Wow, She loves everything, I need to show her how much she can save by hosting a party". When I took "ME" out of the equation and made booking parties "about doing them a favor" it became an easier process. I want you to say these questions out loud and listen to which one sounds the best to you.


Option #1 "Susie, my company is in the middle of a contest and I can earn a trip to (wherever). Would you please host a party to help me out?"


Option #2 "Susie, I'm so excited that you loved almost everything I showed you. I would really like to help you get as many items as you can for as little cost as possible. The best way to do this is to purchase some of your favorite items tonight and then book a party as soon as possible so you can earn the rest. I have a few bonus night available and you will receive a Free gift. They are Tuesday the 4'th or Thursday, the 6'th. Which one is best for you to earn your free and discounted products by inviting me and a few friends over?"


Option #3 "Susie, you saw a lot of things that you like. Would you like to have a party for me?"
I'm not sure why, but I often hear consultants ask for bookings and they end with the words, "for me". You will notice that option #2 doesn't mention "me" at all. I have completely focused on Susie and the favor I want to do for her! When you get excited about "helping your hostesses" you will book more parties than you ever dreamed possible.


So, the "psychology of booking parties" means you really truly believe that you are providing a service to your Hostesses and a means for them to earn products at special prices. If you really don't believe this your "true colors" will show through.

If you are struggling with this the therapy I recommend is to call someone from another party plan and book a party yourself. Learn first hand the benefits of being a Hostess. Once you become a believer you will really be able to "PARTY ON"!

No comments: