Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Staying Positive on the roller coaster ride of Urban Botanic

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've been working with a lot of folks on the team lately who have been going through the ups and downs of starting a new venture (ie U.B.).

If you've never tred into the waters of direct sales before, it can be a frustrating business at times. A lot of team members have asked me "how do you stay so positive when things go to crap?" (direct quote of course LOL)

I think I have an average ratio that I can use scientifically now from months of experience in Urban Botanic. For every 3 good things that happen, one bad thing "may" follow. I don't say "will" because sometimes I get really lucky, but I have learned that I need to always "prepare" and to not take things PERSONALLY or it can really bring you down.

Many of you know that I do a lot of work with bloggers and trying to get UB's name out there as often as possible. About a week ago I took a serious butt kicking verbally from a Blogger that felt receiving an email after taking the test was spamming her and read me the riot act. Just so you know (and thanks Lauri for pointing it out) - the results on the test will show up on the screen and an email is only asked for if the client "wants" the results sent to them. So it's "not" mandatory but this person had issues.

It's funny how I let that get to me that day. It really broke my confidence and I took it personally which I pride myself on NOT usually doing. Well the next morning I received an email from a Blogger that WANTED to work with me and thought our company was amazing. I also had 2 other great leads and things happen and a consultant emailed me to let me know she was signing her first team mate.

SO the moral of this is, things will go crappy at times, you will have disappointments and you can either chalk it up to more experience and lessons learned, or you can let it eat at your enthusiasm and confidence until it festers there and begins to destroy everything you've been working towards.

I truly hope you choose to brush it off and go on. Every great experience you have which are ALWAYS more than the negative ones should continue to build your outer armor and become a great defense and testimony to you that Urban Botanic is an incredible, fun and unique experience that our customers love and our partnerships treasure.

Keep on keeping on!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I completely agree with you. Happiness (or staying positive) is a choice, it is not a direct correlation to the events happening (or not happening) in our lives.

It doesn't mean there isn't a bad moment, negative feeling, or really awful day thrown in...it just means we don't let that stuff get in the way of all the good. And there is a LOT of GOOD!! :)

Thanks for the reminder!