Friday, June 29, 2007

Just another reason to love Y.O.B.

Loving Your Own Business from The Success Factory:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Today in our local Sunday paper, there was an article entitled Summer hours are not that unusual. It talked about the “how's” of getting your employer to be a little more flexible in the summer so that you can do all the fun stuff that there is to do when the weather is nicer. The author's three basic tips were:

1) Know when you shouldn't ask for the time away. (Based on your profession - not a good idea for a lawyer working to become partner, a reporter, a medical resident or an EMT)

2) Have a game plan…(Choices included working four ten hour days and being available 24/7 as you telecommute via your Blackberry)

Know how to ask for the time (best `words' to use when approaching your boss).
Well, I found the entire article fascinating and foreign! This summer marks my 24th that I have not had to negotiate around office politics or the approval of a boss. And all I can say is that I LOVE my Y.O.B. How about you?

Though most of us are not out of the jowls of Corporate America, I think that certain times of year definitely drive us to work harder to end the courtship that is neverending and can suck the life out of you. Thank goodness for a business on the side that completely rejuvenates me everytime I think of what the future holds.

No comments: